Search
  • Laina Moore

The Bad News & The Good News



This is when most people ask, "Do you want the good news or the bad news first?" -- I always choose the bad news so that I can end on a high note, so I am picking that order for you in this post.


The Bad News


This morning I was planning to post about how we were only three days away from Nolan's surgery. Many of you thought it was only 2 days, but I realized I hadn't done an update since we found out his operation was moved from 11/8 to 11/9.


We got a call last week that Nolan's surgery needed to be pushed back one day to allow for babies with a more urgent need for heart surgery go first. While we were disappointed, you can't be upset that your child isn't having surgery so another child can go in for an emergency procedure.


Today, I got the same phone call.


Only this time it is not a day pushed back but a week. And this time I didn't just feel disappointment, but I broke down, and it hit me hard.


I had a panic attack after hanging up the phone, and honestly, today has been hard.


So much right now is out of our control and every once and while it gets the best of me. We try to be positive, but sometimes it is hard when the rug is pulled out from under you.


November 15th. That is our new surgery date.


Ughhhhh. Okay, now onto the good news.


The Good News


Our child is healthy and stable enough to wait to have his surgery next week. I called his cardiologist & pediatrician today to see if Nolan needed to be seen since surgery is now eight days later than it was initially scheduled. Both told us that they saw no need for Nolan to come in since he was doing so well.


Because of the surgery scheduling conflicts they also had to change the surgeon. The new surgeon is the Chief of Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, and honestly the one that we originally wanted to preform Nolan's surgery.


Finally, I do believe that everything happens for a reason and it is all in God's timing and not ours. Just sometimes it takes a few minutes (or a whole day) to accept.


As I was typing this post a friend text Joel and I about the reschedule date and said, "You know, I look at it as God is protecting Nolan. There must be some reason why he is not supposed to have surgery this Friday." We will choose to believe this too.


November 15th. That is our new surgery date.


Please pray that we keep this date and be home in time for Thanksgiving.

0 views

© 2018 by Laina Moore