Microtia Day 2019
Tomorrow is Microtia Awareness Day and we want to wish a Happy Microtia Day to Nolan and all the other Microtia babies, children, and adults.
What is Microtia?
Microtia is an underdeveloped ear. Atresia is the absence of an ear canal. Nolan has both in his right ear.
• Microtia affects 1 in 6,000 - 12,000 births.
• Microtia affects 500 babies per year in the USA
• Microtia is seen in boys twice as often as girls
• The right ear is affected twice as often as the left
• More than 90% of children with Microtia and Atresia have hearing loss
• There is no known cause
Nolan checks every box above, and these facts about Microtia can be found throughout many studies, publications, doctors, and clinics.
But below are things you won’t find when you research but things that I think are equally (if not, more) important to know about Microtia.
• Microtia does not mean you did something wrong during pregnancy
• Your child has Microtia, they are NOT only Microtia
• You come to love the little ear
• Microtia means you get to meet amazing people
• Microtia means a lot of unknowns
• Microtia means you get to wear a hearing aid
• Microtia means you are part of an amazing community
• Microtia allows you to see the world a bit differently
• Microtia opens your heart to the idea that differences are beautiful
• MICROTIA ONLY HAS AS MUCH POWER AS YOU ALLOW IT TO HAVE
Tomorrow we will celebrate our son and all others with Microtia by wearing blue. We invite you to do the same.
And no matter where you are in your story, always know there is so much more to come!